Maharashtra is blessed with 720 kms long coastline. Shared with Konkan, Thane, and Ratnagiri also Sindhudurg districts. Many marine creatures come visit. However, the exact count and type are unknown. As from what is believed there is not a detailed study available. In the year 2000-01, it was found that a species of turtle, Olive Ridley is a prominent visitor to the shores of Maharashtra for breeding purposes. Other species are the Green Turtle, Hawksbill and the Leatherback. A lot of the other information is already available online, like what does turtles eat, how a turtle looks like. The difference between a turtle, tortoise and a terrapin.
Velas is a small fishing village on the western coast of Maharashtra. About 220 kms away from Mumbai, a little over a hundred houses on the coast of the Arabian Sea. It is that time of the year again when a tiny grey head pokes out of the golden sand and takes a breath of the fresh salty air of the Arabian Sea. It is a culmination of a lengthy process, which started when, under the cover of darkness, its mother emerged out from the rolling waves to lay her heap of 100-120 eggs on the sandy beach. Oblivious to the world that awaits it outside its sandy cocoon, the tiny hatchling is soon followed by a hundred others, all crawling their way towards the brightest lights of the horizon- in this case, the sea. Adventure Geek, India invites you to this journey from the nest to the sea which draws oohs and aahs from tourists each of whom is gathered on the shore to witness this miracle of Nature. The location is Velas, a remote village in Mandangad taluka in Ratnagiri district approx. a 6 hour drive from Mumbai.
- Watch and Learn about Turtle Hatching
- Witness Turtle Taking First Step
- Ferry Ride
- Fort Visit
- Harihareshwar Temple
- Konkani Home Stay
- Authentic Konkani Delicacy
Day 00 -Friday :-Meeting Point :Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Borivali East 09.15pm
Pickup Point Dadar 10.15pm
Day 01 Saturday
Reach Velas by 05:00 am. Watch Turtles taking their first steps. Post sightings, a briefing session would be taken to educate about Olive Ridley Turtles.
9:00 AM - Proceed towards Konkani style home-stay. Freshen up.
10:00 AM - Have delicious home-made breakfast.
11:00 AM -Proceed for a visit to Bankot Fort, which is known for its history and breathtaking views of Velas beach and Harihareshwar.
2:30 PM - Have home cooked & hygenic lunch. Post lunch, you can rest till evening.
5:00 PM - Visit Velas beach again to sight more Olive Ridley Turtles. Spend the night by enjoying group games, sharing stories and experiences, etc.
9:00 PM - Have dinner.
10:30 PM - Retire for the day.
Day 02 Sunday
6:00 AM - Wake up early morning with hope of sighting baby turtles again.
9:00 AM - Post sighting session, have breakfast and leave for Harihareshwar. This is the time when you will experience one of the most interesting moments of the Velas turtle festival tour, where our bus will be transferred from one district to another in a jetty via sea route. We will explore Harihareshwar Temple and beach.
2:00 PM - Have yummy lunch and leave for Mumbai. Reach around 9-10 PM tentatively.
Cancellation and Refund applicable on the whole tour cost :
- Cancellation within 24 hours of payment 100% refundable. (Not applicable on payments made before or less than 36 hours of the event. Only 20% will be refunded in this case.)
- If cancellation is done prior to 10 days of outing 90% refundable.
- If cancellation is done prior to 6 days of outing 60% will be refunded.
- If done prior to 3 days of outing 30% will be refunded
- After that, no refund will be provided.
- Since it is not a luxury trip, do not expect any luxury.
- All food is a hygienic and authentic local delicacy.
- All sightseeing and activities depend on the time available.
- Participants must carry cash in order to survive and buy anything.
- Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance thats illegal is not allowed. Anybody found consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without refund.
- You are joining an outdoor activity where any incident, reasons beyond control like Natural calamities, landslides, bad road conditions, riots, political uncertainty, public transport failure etc.; Man-Made calamities, Vehicle breakdown, vehicle dysfunction can happen & you agree that the organizer/leader shall not be held responsible for any accident, mishap (including death) caused by any circumstances.
- Adventure Geek reserves all rights to modify/change the camp/ program and abort the event and Adventure Geek will not be liable to refund booking charges in such a case.
- Adventure Geek reserves all right to call off the on-going event when such circumstances arise, and it shall not be responsible for any refund henceforth.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation in a typical Konkani bungalow on homestay sharing basis. (Velas is an eco-tourism village and separate rooms / hotel accommodation is not available)
- Transportation from Mumbai to Mumbai by A/c vehicle
- Typical Konkani veg meals on tour. (Breakfast, Dinner & Lunch)
- Sightseeing and entry tickets, wherever necessary.
- Ferryboat Charges & entry tickets.
- Adventure Geek Expertise
What is NOT included in the tour
- Medical / Insurance Charges
- Personal Expenses
- Packaged Water / Extra Tea or Beverages
- Anything not mentioned under Inclusion
- Extra Activities
- Any miscellaneous expenses