Adventure Geek invites all the nature lovers, animal lovers and adventurers from Mumbai to Velas Turtle Festival 2023.
Also know as Kasav Mahotsav (वेळास कासव महोत्सव) is organized in the small fishing village of Velas on the western coast of Maharashtra. This is an event specifically focused on conservation of Olive Ridley turtles. Traveler from Mumbai can witness baby turtles taking there first steps towards the sea.
About 220 km away from Mumbai, a little over a hundred houses on the coast of the Arabian Sea. It is that time of the year again when a tiny grey head pokes out of the golden sand and takes a breath of the fresh salty air of the Arabian Sea.
Our Batches from Mumbai Starts from the first week of March 2023 till April 2023.
The Olive Ridley turtle is a prominent visitor to the shores of Maharashtra for breeding purposes. Other species are the Green Turtle, Hawksbill, and Leatherback. A lot of the other information is already available online, like what turtles eat, how a turtle looks like. The difference between a turtle, a tortoise, and a terrapin. It is a culmination of a lengthy process, which started when, under the cover of darkness, its mother emerged out from the rolling waves to lay her heap of 100-120 eggs on the sandy beach. Oblivious to the world that awaits it outside its sandy cocoon, the tiny hatchling is soon followed by a hundred others, all crawling their way toward the brightest lights of the horizon.
Adventure Geek invites you to the Velas Turtle Festival ()journey from the nest to the sea which draws OOHSS and AAHS from tourists each of whom is gathered on the shore to witness this miracle of Nature. The location is Velas, a remote village in Mandangad taluka in Ratnagiri district approx. a 6-hour drive from Mumbai. Olive Ridley turtles Velas conservation trends and knowledge has spread to nearby villages that have also started similar Velas Kasav Mahotsav 2023.
Also Checkout our Anjarle Turtle Festival & Velas Turtle Festival 2023 from Pune
Velas Turtle Festival Mumbai 2023 dates (Leaving on Friday Night)
We Might have Extra Batches Leaving on Thursday Night
Batch 1: 04th - 05th March
Batch 2: 7th - 8th March(Holi Special)
Batch 3: 11th - 12th March
Batch 4: 18th - 19th March
Batch 5: 25th - 26th March
Batch 6: 1st - 2nd April
Batch 7: 8th - 9th April
Batch 8: 15th - 16th April
Batch 09: 22nd - 23rd April
- Travelling by A/c Bus.
- Witness Turtle Taking First Step.
- Watch and Learn about Turtle Hatching.
- Witness Turtle Taking First Step.
- Ferry Ride to Harihareshwar.
- Bankot Fort Visit.
- Harihareshwar Temple.
- Konkani Home Stay.
- Authentic Konkani Delicacy.
Velas Turtle Festival Mumbai 2023.
Itinerary for Mumbai - Velas - Mumbai
Day 00 - Friday:-
10.00 pm Meeting Point: Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Borivali East (Mumbai) and leave for Velas by AC Bus.
Pickup Points :
10.40 pm Sion Lunch Home, Sion.
10.55 pm Chembur (K star Mall).
11.15 PM Vashi ( below Vashi Bridge).
11.30 PM MCD Kalamboli, Panvel.
Day 01 Saturday
- Reach Velas by 05:00 am. Watch Turtles hatching & taking their first steps.
- 9:00 AM - Proceed toward the Konkani-style homestay. Freshen up.
- 10:00 AM - Have a delicious homemade breakfast.
- 11:00 AM -Proceed for a visit to Bankot Fort, which is known for its history and breathtaking views of Velas beach and Harihareshwar Temple,
- 2:30 PM - Have a home-cooked & Hygienic lunch. Post lunch, you can rest till evening.
- 5:00 PM - Visit Velas beach again to sight more Olive Ridley Turtles.
- 7:00 PM : Post sightings, a briefing session would be taken to educate about Olive Ridley Turtles.
- Spend the night enjoying group games, sharing stories and experiences, etc.
- 9:00 PM - Have dinner.
- 10:30 PM - Retire for the day.
Day 02 Sunday
- 6:00 AM - Wake up early morning with the hope of sighting baby turtles again.
- 9:00 AM - Post-sighting session, have breakfast, and leave for Harihareshwar. This is the time when you will experience one of the most interesting moments of the Velas turtle festival tour, where our bus will be transferred from one district to another in a jetty via sea route. We will explore Harihareshwar Temple and the beach.
- 2:00 PM - Have yummy lunch and leave for Mumbai. Reach around 9-10 PM tentatively. Velas Turtle Festival 2023 concludes herewith with good memories.
FAQ For Velas Turtle Festival 2023 (वेळास कासव महोत्सव).
1) How do we travel to Velas turtle festival 2023 from Mumbai??
We will be traveling by Private A/c Bus From Mumbai.
2) Is bathroom/toilet facility available at homestay?
The batroom/toilet facility is available in both Western & Indian styles.
3) What kind of food is available at homestay?.
Imagine eating food on banana Leaf, Yes we serve local Konkani food in Konkani Style at our homestay.
4) Timings for the Velas Turtle Festival?
There are two sessions available in a day, one is at 06.30 am in the morning and other is at 5.30 pm in the evening.
5) Where do we see Velas Turtle Hatching?
We need to reach Velas beach to see hatching.
6) Is it kids friendly?
Yes, Kids love watching tiny Olive turtles taking steps toward the sea.
7)What are the dates for वेळास कासव महोत्सव
Cancellation and Refund applicable on the whole tour cost :
- Cancellation within 24 hours of payment is 100% refundable. (Not applicable on payments made before or less than 36 hours of the event. Only 20% will be refunded in this case.)
- If cancellation is done prior to 10 days of the outing 90% refundable.
- If cancellation is done prior to 6 days of the outing 60% will be refunded.
- If done prior to 3 days of the outing 30% will be refunded
- After that, no refund will be provided.
- Since it is not a luxury trip, do not expect any luxury.
- All food is a hygienic and authentic local delicacy.
- All sightseeing and activities depend on the time available.
- Participants must carry cash in order to survive and buy anything.
- Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that's illegal is not allowed. Anybody found consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without a refund.
- You are joining an outdoor activity where any incident, reasons beyond control like natural calamities, landslides, bad road conditions, riots, political uncertainty, public transport failure, etc.; Man-Made calamities, Vehicle breakdown, or vehicle dysfunction can happen & you agree that the organizer/leader shall not be held responsible for any accident, mishap (including death) caused by any circumstances.
- Adventure Geek reserves all rights to modify/change the camp/ program and abort the event and Adventure Geek will not be liable to refund booking charges in such a case.
- Adventure Geek reserves all right to call off the on-going event when such circumstances arise, and it shall not be responsible for any refund henceforth.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation in a typical Konkani bungalow on a homestay sharing basis. (Velas is an eco-tourism village and separate rooms/hotel accommodation is not available)
- Transportation from Mumbai to Mumbai by A/c vehicle
- Typical Konkani veg meals on tour. (Breakfast, Dinner & Lunch)
- Lunch on Sunday (Veg only)
- Sightseeing and entry tickets, wherever necessary.
- Ferryboat Charges & entry tickets.
- Adventure Geek Expertise
What is NOT included in the tour
- Medical / Insurance Charges
- Personal Expenses
- Packaged Water / Extra Tea or Beverages
- Anything not mentioned under Inclusion
- Extra Activities
- Any miscellaneous expenses