Adventure Geek invites you to Velas Turtle Festival 2024 from Pune
Velas is a small fishing village on the western coast of Maharashtra. About 200 km away from Pune, a little over a hundred houses on the coast of the Arabian Sea. It is that time of the year again when a tiny grey head pokes out of the golden sand and takes a breath of the fresh salty air of the Arabian Sea.
Olive Ridley is a prominent visitor to the shores of Maharashtra for breeding purposes. Other species are the Green Turtle, Hawksbill, and Leatherback. A lot of the other information is already available online, like what turtles eat, and what a turtle looks like. The difference between a turtle, a tortoise, and a terrapin. It is a culmination of a lengthy process, which started when, under the cover of darkness, its mother emerged out from the rolling waves to lay her heap of 100-120 eggs on the sandy beach. Oblivious to the world that awaits it outside its sandy cocoon, the tiny hatchling is soon followed by a hundred others, all crawling their way toward the brightest lights of the horizon.
Adventure Geek invites you to the Velas Turtle Festival journey from the nest to the sea which draws oohs and aahs from tourists each of whom is gathered on the shore to witness this miracle of Nature. The location is Velas, a remote village in Mandangad taluka in Ratnagiri district approx. a 6-hour drive from Mumbai. Olive Ridley turtles Velas conservation trends and knowledge has spread to nearby villages that have also started similar Velas Kasav Mahotsav 2024
Velas Turtle Festival 2024 dates (Leaving on Friday Night)
We Might have Extra Batches Leaving on Thursday Night)
Batch 1: 09th - 10th March
Batch 2: 24th - 25th March(Holi Special)
Batch 3: 30th - 31st March
Batch 4: 06th - 07th April
Batch 5: 13th - 14th April
Batch 6: 20th - 21st April
- Traveling by Bus
- Watch and Learn about Turtle Hatching
- Witness Turtle Taking First Step
- Ferry Ride
- Fort Visit
- Harihareshwar Temple
- Konkani Home Stay
- Authentic Konkani Delicacy
Velas Turtle Festival 2024 from Pune
Day 00 -Friday Pickups
10:30 pm Pickups will be Swargate Bus Stand, Swargate Flyover, Mukund Nagar,
11:30 pm – Exit Pune city, move towards Tamhini Ghat
Day 01 Saturday
Reach Velas by 05:00 am. Watch Turtles taking their first steps. Post sightings, a briefing session would be taken to educate about Olive Ridley Turtles.
9:00 AM - Proceed towards the Konkani-style homestay. Freshen up.
10:00 AM - Have a delicious homemade breakfast.
11:00 AM -Proceed for a visit to Bankot Fort, which is known for its history and breathtaking views of Velas Beach and Harihareshwar.
2:30 PM - Have a home-cooked & hygienic lunch. Post lunch, you can rest till evening.
5:00 PM - Visit Velas beach again to see more Olive Ridley Turtles. Spend the night by enjoying group games, sharing stories and experiences, etc.
9:00 PM - Have dinner.
10:30 PM - Retire for the day.
Day 02 Sunday
6:00 AM - Wake up early morning with the hope of sighting baby turtles again.
9:00 AM - Post-sighting session, have breakfast, and leave for Harihareshwar. This is the time when you will experience one of the most interesting moments of the Velas turtle festival tour, where our bus will be transferred from one district to another in a jetty via sea route. We will explore Harihareshwar Temple and the beach.
2:00 PM - Have a yummy lunch and leave for Pune, Reach around 9-10 PM tentatively. Velas Turtle Festival concludes herewith good memories
FAQ of Velas Turtle Festival 2024
1) How we will Travel to the Velas Turtle Festival??
We will be traveling by Private Non A/c Bus from Pune
2) Are toilets available and bathing facilities?
Toilet facilities are there both Western & Indian. Bathing with Hot & cold Water Facilities is available.
3) Food at Velas Village Homestay?
We provide locally delicious Food at our homestay in Konkani Style
Imagine eating food on banana Leaf at this more traditional.
4) Velas turtle Festival Timings?
There are two times in a day that is 06.30 am and 5.30 pm in the evening.
5) Where do we see Velas turtle Hatching?
You need to reach Velas beach to see hatching.
6) Velas Turtle Festival is Kids Friendly?
Yes, Kids love Watching tiny Olive turtles taking steps toward the sea.
Cancellation and Refund applicable on the whole tour cost :
- Cancellation within 24 hours of payment is 100% refundable. (Not applicable on payments made before or less than 36 hours of the event. Only 20% will be refunded in this case.)
- If cancellation is done before 10 days of outing 90% refundable.
- If cancellation is done before 6 days of the outing 60% will be refunded.
- If done before 3 days of the outing 30% will be refunded
- After that, no refund will be provided.
- Since it is not a luxury trip, do not expect any luxury.
- All food is a hygienic and authentic local delicacy.
- All sightseeing and activities depend on the time available.
- Participants must carry cash to survive and buy anything.
- Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that's illegal is not allowed. Anybody found consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without a refund.
- You are joining an outdoor activity where any incident, reasons beyond control like Natural calamities, landslides, bad road conditions, riots, political uncertainty, public transport failure, etc.; Man-Made calamities, Vehicle breakdown, or vehicle dysfunction can happen & you agree that the organizer/leader shall not be held responsible for any accident, mishap (including death) caused by any circumstances.
- Adventure Geek reserves all rights to modify/change the camp/ program and abort the event and Adventure Geek will not be liable to refund booking charges in such a case.
- Adventure Geek reserves all right to call off the ongoing event when such circumstances arise, and it shall not be responsible for any refund henceforth.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation in a typical Konkani bungalow on a homestay sharing basis. (Velas is an eco-tourism village and separate rooms/hotel accommodation is not available)
- Transportation from Pune to Pune by A/c vehicle
- Typical Konkani veg meals on tour. (Breakfast, Dinner & Lunch)
- Lunch on Sunday (Veg only)
- Sightseeing and entry tickets, wherever necessary.
- Ferryboat Charges & entry tickets.
- Adventure Geek Expertise
What is NOT included in the tour
- Medical / Insurance Charges
- Personal Expenses
- Packaged Water / Extra Tea or Beverages
- Anything not mentioned under Inclusion
- Extra Activities
- Any miscellaneous expenses