Karnala Fort Trek (also called Funnel Hill) is a hill fort in Raigad district about 10 km from Panvel city. Currently, it is a protected place lying within the Karnala Bird Sanctuary. The sanctuary is quite small with an area of 4.27 square kilometers. It is home to over 150 species of resident and 37 species of migratory birds who visit the sanctuary during winter. Two rare birds i.e. Ashy Minivet and Malabar Trogon have been sighted here.
Karnala fort actually consists of two forts one at a higher level and other lower. At the center of the higher level is a 125 feet high basalt pillar. It is also called Pandus tower. This structure was used as watchtower when the fort was occupied.
You may also checkout our Upcoming treks near Mumbai
- Easy Trek
- Pre Monsoon Clouds
- One day Trip
- 360* View of Sahyadri Range
Karnala Trek itinerary
06:00 am - Board Bus and Start Journey for Karnala Fort Trek from SGNP Borivali
There are multiple Pickup points on the way:
7:00 am - Dadar east near Kotak Mahindra Bank
8.00 am - Vashi below bridge
8.30 am - Kalamboli, panvel
09:00 am - Reach Karnala Bird Sanctuary and have breakfast.
09:45 am - Start Trekking towards karnala fort
11.30 am - Reach at top & Explore the fort, click photos
12.30 pm - Start descending.
02.00 pm - Have lunch after reaching the base.
03.00 pm - Post Lunch, Start the return journey.
08:00 pm- Reach Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Borivali
(all timings mentioned above are tentative)
Karnala Fort Trek FAQ
Where is KarnalaTrek Located?
Karnala Fort is Located in Pen near Panvel.
How do we Travel to Karnala Trek?
You can take Train till Panvel station from your near by Station and then bus or Rick goes to Karnala Fort
Why is Karnala Fort Famous?
Karnala is famous for Bird Sanctuary it is called Karnala Bird Sanctuary.
Who can Trek to Karnala Fort?
Beginners,kids,couple and any one can trek to Karnala fort
Is Washroom Facilities Available at Karnala Fort Trek?
Yes, Washroom Facilities are there at Base of karnala Fort
What is included in the tour
- Traveling from sgnp to sgnp by private non/ac bus
- Entry fees,
- Morning breakfast,
- Safety and other equipment required for the trek.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Anything not mentioned in inclusion
- Personal Expenses
- Extra pair of clothes
- Photo ID card
- Some ready to eat food (chips, cakes, biscuits)
- Drinking water Backpack to keep things
- Personal medication if any
- Since it is not a luxury trip, do not expect any luxury.
- All food is hygienic and authentic local delicacy.
- You are joining an outdoor activity where any incident, reasons beyond control like Natural calamities, landslides, bad road conditions, riots, political uncertainty, public transport failure etc.; Man-Made calamities, Vehicle breakdown, vehicle dysfunction can happen & you agree that the organizer/leader shall not be held responsible for any accident, mishap (including death) caused by any circumstances.
- Adventure Geek is not responsible for any loss of illegal substances or items being carried by the participant.